Re: win32 build: (L)GPL and menu bar -- was Re: Prerelease of 0.94 is out

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Steffen Macke wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:46:52 +0300
> From: Steffen Macke <sdteffen web de>
> To: discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: win32 build: (L)GPL and menu bar -- was Re: Prerelease of
>     0.94 is out
>
> > It seems the LGPL is displayed by the installer (instead of the GPL)

The easiest way to fix it would be not to include it in the installer at
all.

As the GPL applies to the modification and redistribution of the code and
not use or verbatim distribution of the binaries it is unnecessary to ask
the user to Accept the GPL during the installation.

I can understand if you want to try and get a small minority of people to
read the GPL and help promote the GNU Philosophy but is it really worth
adding?

> > Also it was discussed earlier to have the menu bar in diagram window by
> > default for win32 builds. These would greatly help Windows users to
> > become familiar with dia.

I'm pretty sure I suggested it as the default for both, not just windows.
It should be done in the source code.  I dont recall any objections at the
time (although if were using Gnome menus some items no longer displayed
when you use the menubar).

As Steffen has mentioned the Gimp even turns on the menubar by default
now, because they realise that it is good to have this feature on so that
new users do not need to go looking for it and experienced users can
easily turn it off.

- Alan