Re: Making plugins

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 11:03 +0100, clement begue wrote:
> Hi again!
> I've made a very simple diagram of what it shoud be. It is not nice, it is
> just how it could work. It is not the way it should look like, because it will
> be based on some kind of standard.

I see what you're trying to do.  Given how the components are placed,
probably connecting them in the middle would work best.

> Don't spend too much time on that, I got all the time I need to do it,
> document it, document about making plugins and all. I should begin by
> documenting (in french and then in english) how to make the kind of plugins I
> need and then go on to programming. As I have never used Gtk and his friends
> before, it should take some time, I'm actually learning all that, it's full of
> tutorials.

With a little luck, you shouldn't have to use Gtk to do this.  You can
just have the board object expand the way UML objects do with attributes
and operations, possibly with a minimum number of connections.

> The connectors should always be inside the board, so I'll look about
> parenting.
> When the board is too small, it should enlarge to carry up more connectors. I
> don't know yet about size of all this, but allowing to resize it could make
> strange things. The connections between boards and subsubsystems should have a
> special aspect, maybe I will have to make some special kind of zigzagline. We
> will be adding some sets of shapes, but it should mostly be specific shapes
> for the systems we make, so, not useful for anyone, but I'll hand those that
> should be reusable (and not "classified" ;) ) or have interesting code for
> future dynamic shapes.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.  And don't
hesitate to ask questions.

Just don't copy the Gtk stuff from UML!

Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>