Making plugins

Hi everyone!
I am actually trying to see how to make plugins in Dia.
The type of plugins I need to make is (tell me if those things are not
to be done this way) :
- Import plugins (generating a diagram from the output of a program we
have here)
- Shapes with a specific dialog and attributes.

I read in this mailing list that I should not use the UML attributes
dialog as an example, so what should I base my work on?
The kind of shape I need to make would be somewhat dynamic.
I mean, I put the shape (the shape is a kind of electronic board) on the
diagram, open properties, and then I want to be able to add connectors
(rectangles with a name) on the border of the board that would set in
the right place directly (the first on upper left and then the
connectors are added all around the board and not over a previous
connector, enlarging the board if it is needed).
Am I dreaming of something that isn't possible? I would love to do such
thing much better than 200 shapes for all kind of boards and number of
connectors!

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Regards,

Clément