Re: WMF problems

* Justin Gombos <mindfuq@zianet.com> [2004-04-16 19:54:51 -0600]:

<snip>
> > In the current example, talking about "wmf support" is too unclear
> > and misleading for me, since it does not really say, what we do
> > with wmf.
>
> Windows MetaFile ("WMF") and Enhanced windows MetaFile ("EMF") are
> simply a file formats for representing vector graphics.  The only thing
> you would ever do with (W/E)MF is use it to contain a vector graphics
> specification in a file.  So it's a file i/o issue, and "WMF support"
> can really only have this meaning.

Yes, but conceptionally there's a module, which handles reading from
and writing to WMF modules.

<snip>
> * ImageMagick support for WMF is read-only.
So an imagemagick-based WMF import filter / wmf loader.

> * dia for Windows requires the user to install a series of Windows
>   packages in order to build a dia installer.  And that's just the
installer ?!

<snip>
> * libwmf builds, but doesn't work.  It has no interface, and it
>   doesn't integrate as a back-end to ImageMagick or pstoedit like it
>   claims.
>
> * libemf fails to build.
>
> * pstoedit fails with a "no back-end specified" error on both windows
>   and linux.  It could be a user error, since there is no
>   documentation to explain how to use it, and the syntax and semantics
>   page lists every syntax element as optional.  It would really be
>   nice if pstoedit developers would join the ImageMagick effort
>   instead of going in a separate direction, but it seems they want to
>   be able to sell their optional plugins.

This doesn't change my oppinion, that a wmf loader or save-module should
be called as such (wmf import/export module) and not "wmf support".

Okay, it sounds like hair-splitting, but IMHO its important to clearify it.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
   -- DSL-Zugang ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting --