WMF Support?

* Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille@chepelov.org> [2004-04-14 23:18]:
> Le Wed, Apr 14, 2004, à 07:21:33PM -0600, Justin Gombos a écrit:
>
> Have you tried WMF? This is Windows' native vector format, and in my
> experience Word likes it.

I spent three hours trying WMF.  I'm using version 0.92.2 of dia, and
WMF is not an export option.  Maybe it was removed?

I first tried using ImageMagick to convert from EPS to WMF.  That was
a nightmare.  ImageMagick claims to support WMF, and doing a:

  convert diagram.eps diagram.wmf

Results in a *.wmf file; but it's not a WMF file.  After much
investigation and frustration, it turns out that ImageMagick can only
read WMF files, not write them.  Instead of telling you this upon
attempting an unsupported conversion, it just dumps some junk in
diagram.wmf and pretends to have worked.

Then I installed pstoedit, which is a tool that claims to convert to
WMF files.  That was a joke too.  Both the Windows version and Linux
version of pstoedit fail.

> The only caveat is that dia seems to miscalculate the boundary box,
> and you have to add a little bit of padding, but the general rule of
> thumb is if dia under Windows prints it correctly, then exporting it
> as WMF and importing it back to Word will yield the exact same
> result (once you've dealt with the padding)

Dia under Windows?  Does the Windows distribution support different
file types?

> I'm not totally sure Mac PICT is a vector format; AFAIK it's their
> primary raster format, iow no qualitative advantage over PNG.

It's both a vector and raster format.  The question is, when I do a
convert from EPS to PICT, does Imagemagick produce a vector PICT, or a
raster PICT?  I'm starting to think it's a raster, because the diagram
has the anti-aliasing fuzziness that's also in the PNG files.