Re: solution to HIG button controversy ?

On 18 Jul 2003, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I think the original instant apply comment was about the
>> preferences and diagram properties (grid etc), not object properties,
>> and there's no undo stack for those anyway.  But we need to be
>> consistent.
>>
> No, I meant things like current line width etc. Which are or aren't
> put on undo stack ?

They are on the undo stack.  Bascially, anything that changes the actual
objects in the diagram go into the undo stack.  Things like grid size, grid
color, snap to grid etc don't go into undo.

> Maybe (as the issue is very controversial) I should try to code a
> generic mechanism for storing settings (settings = "line attributes"
> etc), history, generic properties dialog etc and this way keep the
> particular interface (implicit vs explicit, order of buttons, undo
> button or history combo etc etc) in just one place, and not scattered
> over the whole program ? Then, we can watch what the rest of the GNOME
> developer community does, and just choose the right version (or choice
> of two).

That would take major reworking of some of the internals of Dia.  I was
looking at letting preferences use the object properties system, and it'd
be really difficult.  It's a good long-term goal, and I'm indeed planning
to move some things into the persistence system (which currently only
handles window positions).

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor