A matter of principle [Re: HIGification of dialog boxes]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Yes, but no. We already have too many windows, and there are too many ugly
> and capability-less window managers out there (and not all systems have the
> option of switching in a better WM -- yes, Bill and Jim, that's you I'm
> talking to).
> Really, having four or five windows opened for a single application on a
> screen any less than 1600x1400 at 96dpi is just shifting the burden from

I expect Dia to remain at least barely usable on a 640x480 screen (as far
as I can tell it still is).
I expect Dia to be reasonably comfortable to use on an 800x600 screen,
which is what I use.  (I prefer a high refresh rate, and high colour,
and everthing being fairly big and clear).

There are far too many developers who willfully exclude users with crap
hardware.  With more and more handhelds, laptops and tablets coming along
it is totally reckless to exclude yourself from these potential users.

Usability is a moot point if I cant fit the damned program on screen.

I had a small screen for a very long time, this is a very personal pet
hate of mine.  Being told by some insensative clod to buy new hardware,
helps no one.

Later

Alan