Re: Dia Python

At 06:48 16.01.03 -0600, Lars Clausen wrote:
>On 15 Jan 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:
[...]
>> 2)  If I do changes values that way, will it be undoable?  I don't see a
>>     lot of undo-related stuff in the python plugin code, does that need
>>     to be rewritten?  I'd like to avoid the situation in Gimp where
>>     plugins can totally screw up undo.
>
>Well, I found the answer to this one:  Not only isn't it undoable, but
>connections aren't moved with it and the display isn't updated.

I fail to see the relation between undoing and display update.

>Unfortunately, the display update part is all in app, which we don't want
>to link to from plug-ins.
What about calling:

 dia.active_display().add_update_all()

Though probably some bounding box object recalculation
would be needed before, not sure how to do it ...

But it even is possible on win32 to link the Python plug-in
against lib and app. Obviously this does mean there will be
no stand alone python plug-in to use the same bindings.

>If there's also a perl plugin coming up, we'll
>need to encapsulate these things differently, so they behave the same
>between main program and plugins.

There is nothing which can be done in Perl which can not be done
in Python but readable. Not to start language wars but do we
really need another language binding if we lack resources to
maintain one?

So many people with bright ideas, so many vapor ware ...

	Hans