Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Wed Nov 20 08:23:01 2002 (UTC)

Le Wed, Nov 20, 2002, à 08:16:42AM -0600, Lars Clausen a écrit:

> > awww ! Mojibake !
>
> I thought the ChangeLog was supposed to be in UTF-8, it certainly is in
> some areas.  Could we settle on one single encoding for it?

Yes, I guess it should be UTF-8 all the way (the alternative being pure
ASCII, which I'm frankly tired of)

> And what does mojibake mean?

Japanese for "ghost characters" or "disguised characters" (I guess with their
half-dozen incompatible encodings, they've grown quite accustomed to it...)

	http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/

I guess the canonical example from an European point of view is CP437 text
seen in an ISO-8859-1-ish terminal (or the other way around, or CP850 text
in a CP437 terminal). Or now, the "double UTF-8ization" (ie, the output of
  echo "salut, ça va ?" |iconv -f latin1 -t utf-8 |iconv -f latin1 -t utf-8
) like we seem to have had in some fragments of the ChangeLog.