Re: Bond Graph modeling with Dia

I'm submitting line.c code that implements line gaps (with gap > 0), or
allows lines to extend beyond their anchors (with gap < 0).  This code
is copyrighted 2002 by me (David Hoover) and can be used and copied
under the terms of the GNU General Public License (like the rest of the
Dia project code).

I believe this code to be 100% backward compatible with the previous
line.c since the default properties all result in no gap and the same
line bounding box and distance measures as before.  Please correct me if
I am wrong :-).

Usage is documented slightly in the code.  I am including an example
that uses standard objects and demonstrates the usefulness (and
coolness, I think) of 'the gap'.  This example is necessary for you to
try out the gap because I have not written any GTK code that allows one
to configure gaps with the GUI.  If you want to make your own gaps for
now, you need to add dia attributes to the XML.  See the example.  Can't
properties generate GTK dialog boxes automatically?  How do you do that?
 Is it easy?  Somebody want to do that?

I have gotten the gap to work with version 0.9, and I am able to export
.eps and .fig files.  With the current CVS, I am unable to do either of
the above.  I also had problems compiling the current CVS. In addition,
Dia from CVS generates XML without line separators.  So the included
example was made with version 0.9, but is editable with the current CVS
version.

I would like to congratulate the Dia team for writing a tool that is so
easy to extend.  I am amazed that I was able to get this gap code
written so quickly and with so little effort.  Thanks!

In order to make this gap code more useful, it would be nice if future
shapes be designed with a connection point in the center.  It would also
be nice if the basic shapes had connection points in the center as well.
 For the moment, there are hardly any shapes with center connection points.

For bond graph creation, the next major step is making some changes in
the arrow code, and creating the basic bond graph elements.  This will
require some input from the mtt team.

Dave.