Re: Scaling, printing, etc. in Dia

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 13:52, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 11:40:59PM +0200, Lars Clausen wrote:
> > > Yes, OK.  I think what I'm after is a way to see most of an A4 sheet
> > > (I have a 19" monitor running at 1600x1200) with a (say) 1mm grid for
> > > positioning.  At present the grid seems rather too coarse for
> > > positioning boxes exactly as one wants on an A4 sheet.
> >
> > Try with 100% scale in page setup going to 250% zoom.  That should also
> > change the grid to 1mm.  On my 1280x1024 it takes up a little more than
> > fits on the screen.
> >
> That's got me nearly there!
>
> I have set 100% scale and 250% zoom, that gives me a nice view of an
> A4 sheet on my screen, even better in landscape mode which is fine for
> what I'm trying to do.
>
> However it leaves me with two issues:-
>
>     The rulers are entirely arbitrary, my A4 sheets is 24 x 15 whereas
>     a real A4 sheet of paper is 29.7 x 20.5.

That's due to margins.  If you change the margins in page setup, the
rulers will go to normal A4 paper.  The centimeters are real
centimeters.

>     The grid is too coarse, it has only 24 divisions across the long
>     dimension of my A4 sheet and snap to grid snaps to this (larger
>     than 1cm) grid.

You can set the grid explicitly in the Diagram Properties dialog, just
turn off dynamic grid and set the grid to 0.1x0.1.

> If I zoom to the 283% default I get a much finer grid drawn but it
> doesn't affect the scaling (still 24 divisions for the length of my
> A4) and, mor importantly it doesn't affect 'snap to grid' so I still
> get larger than 1cm jumps.

The latter would be a problem with the dynamic grid code.  Doesn't seem
to adjust along with the shown grid.