Re: Scaling, printing, etc. in Dia

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 18:11, Chris Green wrote:
> I've just started playing with Dia for drawing some diagrams of my
> SoHo network and, maybe later, some plans of my house for routing
> cables etc.
>
> It all works pretty well and I found my way around everything quite
> easily except for scaling and printing.
>
> As I modify and change diagrams the horizontal and vertical rulers
> seem to have totally arbitrary scales and origins.  Is there any way
> to arrange things so that 0,0 is at the bottom LH corner of a single
> drawing area that can be printed on a single (or maybe more) sheets of
> paper?

You're wanting an 'edge' to the drawing area, so that you are forced to
stay within a single sheet?

> I've discovered the 'Page Setup' window but I can't see how that
> helps.  If you set it to "Fit to: 1 by 1" then the page varies in size
> as you draw which is most distracting and the edge of the drawing is
> at the edge of the paper with no margins so does it all print?
>
> I also found with "Fit to: 1 by 1" I could end up with a drawing
> window that couldn't be scrolled to cover the whole page I was trying
> to draw on.
>
> Have I missed something somewhere?

If you set it to a certain scaling factor (e.g. 100%), you can see the
sizes of the pages, and constrain yourself to within however many sheets
you want.

There's no way to set 0,0 to be the bottom-left corner.  I can't see any
reason it should be hard to do, but I don't know if it's worth adding
another option for.