Re: Documentation, PDF, "There was an error processing the page"

Am Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2004 10:17 schrieb Cyrille Chepelov:

> It's not totally clear to me in what you wrote, but may I assume that
> you are going to keep the source documentation format in DocBook format?
> While I could never figure out how to keep a DocBook rendering chain in
> operating condition, let alone write and render my own document, DocBook
> is more or less a requirement for GNOME projects.
>
> 	-- Cyrille

I'm experimenting with abstract document structures and used some easy
HTML-format for description (headings, paragraphs, tables, lists..., written
in Perl, based on CSS, XSL-FO and so on). Now I want to make some usability
testing, taking existing documents, rewrite them and render back to original
format. Up to now I only used it for german documents, next point on roadmap
was internationalization and now I need some testing *g*. Why not taking
dia's documentation (PDF), rewriting it into abstract form and re-rendering
into PDF? At the moment I can also render into HTML, plain text is under
construction and man pages would be a nice feature (already planned).

So you write the content once (easier than TeX *g*, still readable in vi or
more/less *g*) and render to some specific output format. Structured
documents, easily create toc-s, lists of keywords, pictures, search within
them, realtime-parallel-edit...

I would keep the abstract structure local and only put the results, PDFs and
HTMLs under CVS-control, later plain text if necessary, man pages (if someone
could explain this groff-stuff *g* or give some example, best way is
off-list).

So I'll start making a first sample document and send it exclusivly to you,
Cyrille *g*. Think this will be on friday (2nd of July)