Re: 0.92-pre1

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Steffen Macke wrote:

> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 07:03:41 +0300
> From: Steffen Macke <sdteffen@web.de>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: 0.92-pre1
>
> A windows installer of 0.92-pre1 is available from
>
> http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net

Thank you.  Prebuilt binaries are always a huge help, particularly on
Windows.

The first sheets, which is the Assorted Shapes does not load at startup.
The space where you would normally see the shapes is blank, but if you
select the sheet again it loads correctly.

I realise adding this option to the installer could be quite difficult but
I would really like it if the installer allowed me to choose not to
install the localisations/translations.  It would save me manually
deleting them, and they take up 4 MB (Dia 0.90 only took up about 6MB in
total).  With previous releases I was able to delete all the translation
files I dont need without causing any problems this time it does cause
problems which I will try and look into later.

The Dynamic grid works well and is a significant improvement, but it makes
Snap to Grid a bit more confusing.

Really nice to see the preferences Dialog has be redone to use CheckBoxes.

If you use the Document Menubar the Input Methods menu is blank (i
mentioned this before but neglected to file a bug report).

I tried switching Input Methods to Amharic but it failed
(dia.exe:4294205835): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'am_et'
failed
The previous time I tried it Dia crashed.
Strange little detail I had not noticed before, the Input Methods menu is
missing its tearoff (also missing in 0.91).

samples/EML-demo.dia
should be removed, as the shapes it needs were removed

Am I supposed to have both a libz.dll and a zlib.dll?  They have the
identical bytesizes.

I am reminded of lots of other things including:
should the diagram tree just show the current document?
wouldn't it be nice to be able to set the default number of sides/points
on a Polygon/Polyline/Beziergon/Bezier/ZigZagline?
why doesn't the Polyline have connection points on it, and why not
replace the Standard Line with single "PolyLine"?
...but they are for another day.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/