Re: 0.92-pre1

On 4 Sep 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Steffen Macke wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 07:03:41 +0300
>> From: Steffen Macke <sdteffen@web.de>
>> To: dia-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Re: 0.92-pre1
>>
>> A windows installer of 0.92-pre1 is available from
>>
>> http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net
>
> Thank you.  Prebuilt binaries are always a huge help, particularly on
> Windows.
>
> The first sheets, which is the Assorted Shapes does not load at startup.
> The space where you would normally see the shapes is blank, but if you
> select the sheet again it loads correctly.
>
> I realise adding this option to the installer could be quite difficult
> but I would really like it if the installer allowed me to choose not to
> install the localisations/translations.  It would save me manually
> deleting them, and they take up 4 MB (Dia 0.90 only took up about 6MB in
> total).  With previous releases I was able to delete all the translation
> files I dont need without causing any problems this time it does cause
> problems which I will try and look into later.
>
> The Dynamic grid works well and is a significant improvement, but it
> makes Snap to Grid a bit more confusing.

Any idea for how Snap to Grid could be less confusing with Dynamic Grid?

> If you use the Document Menubar the Input Methods menu is blank (i
> mentioned this before but neglected to file a bug report).
>
> I tried switching Input Methods to Amharic but it failed
> (dia.exe:4294205835): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'am_et'
> failed
> The previous time I tried it Dia crashed.
> Strange little detail I had not noticed before, the Input Methods menu is
> missing its tearoff (also missing in 0.91).

Yeah, that whole thing is broken in menu-bar-mode.  Since it's going to
disappear entirely in the next version, I'm not going to spend days looking
for a reason.

> samples/EML-demo.dia should be removed, as the shapes it needs were
> removed

True.

> I am reminded of lots of other things including:
> should the diagram tree just show the current document?

I don't see why it should.

> wouldn't it be nice to be able to set the default number of sides/points
> on a Polygon/Polyline/Beziergon/Bezier/ZigZagline?

How would they be laid out by default, then?

> why doesn't the Polyline have connection points on it, and why not
> replace the Standard Line with single "PolyLine"?

There's actually little reason to have a seperate Line when we have
PolyLine, that's true.  A Box is still useful in the precense of a Polygon
because of the extra restrictions.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor