Re: Problem with Millenium (2nd Message)

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Luís Carlos Carneiro [ISO-8859-1] Gonçalves wrote:

> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:15:43 +0000
> From: "[ISO-8859-1] Luís Carlos Carneiro [ISO-8859-1] Gonçalves"
>     <lgoncalves@av.it.pt>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Problem with Millenium (2nd Message)
>

>      If I run Dia from a DOS windows I have no problems.
>     (perhaps that I have to do)
>     I only have problems when I run from I icon or Menu.
>     It is to much dificult to see the first error because
> It happens to much fast.
>      But before this problem with Dia 0.91 gives a message
>    like
> "lack of enviroment space"
>
>       Regards
>
>      Luis Gonçalves
>
> PS: Despite the fact that I have a soluction for the
> problem
> (run Dia from a Dos Window) I want to solve the original
> problem. (run from a icon or menu)

The real problem is the whole DOS wrapper script.  The lack of a
predefined userprofile really needs to be handled in code and instead of
failing it should do something like the GIMP does and use a subdirectory
from where Dia is installed (and basically this is what happens anyway if
all else fails, a .dia folder is created in the dia installation
directory).

I know I have only myself to blame for not fixing this sooner and I'm sure
someone smarter than me could fix this very easily.

The offending Code (seems to be) in lib/dia_dirs.c
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/dia/lib/dia_dirs.c#91

A workaround is to select the shortcut and change its properties (right
click, choose properties) and make sure that the shortcut is set to give
the DOS enviroment as much memory as possible.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

(having a really crappy day because of the realisation that due to years
of neglect I have almost completely forgotten how to be a computer
programmer and I have a deadline to meet).