Re: notes on 0.91 pre, mostly win32

At 14:27 07.02.03 -0600, Lars Clausen wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:
>>
>> i will file some of these as bugs later.
>> these are mostly win32 specific.
>>
>> On my desktop I am running Microsoft Windows 98 with 128 MB RAM.
>> My display is 800x600
>> On my laptop I am running Microsoft Windows 98 with 256 MB RAM.
>> My display is 1024x768
>[win32 stuff]
>> The font size used in Dia 0.90 was smaller, pretty close to the default
>> windows font size.  The font size in Dia 0.91 pre1-3 is a lot and even on
>> the larger of my displays this still leaves things feeling quite cramped.
>
>Hmmm... this is the font size that Hans thought was the closest to the old
>one.

If Pango is setup correctly, which I doubt it is when even setting the
HOME environment variable causes too much trouble ...

>> View -> Redraw.
>> Ideally this is not something that should be here, when the redraw code
>> works properly it will not be necessary.  In the short term it at
>> least allows the user to compensate for redraw problems, but hopefully we
>> can get rid of it at some stage.
>
>It stays right up till 1.0, I suspect.
>
>> Keybindings, my bad ...
>> it is even more important that i get these done now that users can no
>> longer easily override the defaults. :(
If Steffen decides to add:

# otherwise you are not allowed to change hotkeys
gtk-can-change-accels = 1

to dia/bin/diagtkrc, why not ?

>> Delete == Delete is really really important.
>
>I finally fixed that one.  Now I'm bothered all the time by not having
>delete on Ctrl-D any more:)
>

>> If i try and turn on Anti Alias, i get an error message saying that this
>> version of Dia was compiled without libart.  I looked at the code in
>> app/menu.c and there is an #ifdef HAVE_LIBART so there should not even be
>> a menu item there.
>
>That error message is not entirely correct.  To do AA, we need libart for
>rendering but also freetype2 for text, which we can't do on Windows right
>now.

The error message says :
	This Dia version is compiled without libart/text support.

With a patch to Pango/win32 see bug 94791 it would be possible
without freetype2, see lib/dialibartrenderer.c which has the
#ifdefed code.
If you look at the source Alan, please try to look at the right
place. Searching for the error text would have helped.

	Hans