Re: Zoom.

On 23 Aug 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:
>

>> They're round numbers on a log scale.
>
> but Why?

It's common when dealing with paper -- when going from A4 to A5, the area
is half as big, but the sides a 1/sqrt(2) as long.  I must admit that the
85% puzzles me, though.  They're from before my time.

>> I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a little entrybox in the
>> lower left corner of each diagram where you can enter the zoom level.
>> What use dialog?
>
> I forgot about that.
> It would help if I kept a copy of Dia handy to check things wouldn't it.

Indeed it would:)

> A dialog can have more presets and advanced options than you might want
> to cram into a menu or the tool bar/status bar.  Also some people have
> come to expect a dialog from other programs and will aciddentally
> overlook the zoom box embedded in the status bar, particularly if we
> allow the Status bar to be hidden as per the Gnome Human Interface
> Guidelines.

True.  There are better frills and features I want to look at first, though.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor