Re: Software Patterns into shapes using UML shapes?

Le Sun, Nov 24, 2002, à 10:41:30PM -0700, David Hickerson a écrit:
> I encluded two dia files, AbstractFactory.dia and Builder.dia. These are
> the first two of 23 software patterns listed in the Design Patterns book
> by Gamma, Helm, Johnson and Vlissides. My intent is that a user would
> choose a pattern out from the shape box adding it to their drawing.
> Then, the user would then change the names and add attributes and
> methods to suite their application. Addtional classes or object may be
> added to the pattern to expand it. These patterns would provide a
> starting place for the patterns use. This is why the object need to be
> UML functional.

Maybe the best solution then would be not to have shapes (which are really
just a structureless SVG drawing plus some metadata), but the ability to
insert a whole ("template") drawing. For instance, you start your UML
diagram; you want to add a visitor ?
	File...Insert Template...select visitor.dia... pooof ! one group
	appears, with the contents of visitor.dia inside.
	now move, ungroup and rename as fit.

I think this could be quite easy to implement, compared to adding the
ability to have shapes be fully structured dia drawings ?

(thinking about it, in fact, what I describe above *could* in fact be
packaged into the shapes toolbox; what's important is to build the feature)