Re: Software Patterns into shapes using UML shapes?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, David Hickerson wrote:

>>Could you point us to an example of what you want these shapes to be
>>like?
>>
> Well, the shapes need to be a collection of UML shapes. Have you seen
> the book, "Design Pattherns, Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented
> Software" by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and John
> Vlissides. My intent was to record those patterns and others into
> shapes, so when designing a software application you pull out a
> reusable patterns, modify the class names add classes and patterns to
> design the system quicker. Rose and Viso have nothing like this,
> however Viso allows for shape creation, though I don't know if they
> can handle UML collections in a shape.
>
> It sounds like the shape feature would need to implement a automated
> copy & paste from a normal dia file to do this.
>
> How is the best way to get started if I would like the contribute code?

Starting out by drawing a rough diagram showing what you expect it to be
like would be a good idea.

> I currently work have a Win2k system to work from, however I have SGI
> Irix, Sun Solaris, and HPUX experience, and I have used CVS.

You will need to compile Dia, of course.  If you want to do that under
Win32, you should look up James Michael Dupont's status reports on the list
for how to compile under Windows.  It's not nearly as easy as on a Unix
box.  You should definitely use the CVS version of the Dia sources, as much
has changed.