Re: Software Patterns into shapes using UML shapes?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, David Hickerson wrote:
> I have tried to create some shapes of the software patterns (Abstract
> Factory, Builder, etc.) using the UML shapes, however when I export
> theses as shapes and add them to shape box, the UML shapes loss their
> UML properties when used. You get a box with a name in it for a
> class. Is there anything that can be done to work around this?

Not readily.  The UML class is a highly complex programmed object, and
can't readily be handled by the current shape system.  Shapes are overall
simplistic, they treat everything as just a set of lines and some text,
they don't attempt to use the underlying objects when saving.

> My approach at this time is to go ahead and make the patterns as
> drawings and to convert them latter if this behavior changes. My
> intent is to donate these back to the Dia effort, when I get done.

Could you point us to an example of what you want these shapes to be like?