Re: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface]

--- Quote ---
BTW, is there a notion of canvas or diagram preferences,
or templates, sort of like Dia style sheets?  It occurred
to me today that I have (non-Dia) diagrams in which the
diagram holds defaults for the objects. Different
diagrams, intentionally, have different rules for fonts,
colors, arrow headings, and lots of other things besides.
--- End Quote ---

Or default layers that you use in every diagram or a
certain class of diagrams.  Basically, anything that
could be in a template.  Templates would be nice.

In most Windows programs that use templates (and AbiWord,
at least), clicking the New Document icon creates a
default document, without prompting the user for a
template.  Using the menu item or shortcut key prompts
for a template.  Dia doesn't have a New icon, but I don't
think it would be unreasonable to have to pick a template
each time you pick File/New or press Ctrl+N.

A different extension would be used for templates, so
that Dia could scan your home directory and populate the
New dialog.

Rob Campbell
rob.campbell@att.net