Re: What's the prerenderer do?

LC> I've been looking to AbiWord for code, but it doesn't seem to figure out
LC> the fonts well.  It only has a short list of fonts, regardless of what
LC> fonts I have installed.  And besides, AbiWord does dump the entire font
LC> into the file.  Xpdf doesn't, I'd be looking to that for code.

I'm not saying we should implement all of font stuff as
abiword.

LC> If I understand you correctly, there are no Japanese fonts we could expect
LC> every Japanese user and printer to have installed.  What does AbiWord do?
LC> It doesn't seem to do anything special when I run it with LC_ALL=ja_JP
LC> (works with da_DK).

current abiword has no font file for Japanese, but debian
package has it. but that is not my point.
ok, please look at this PS file:
http://www.gnome.gr.jp/~tagoh/abiword/abiword.ps

This file is output by abiword. it's nowhere specified
Japanese PS font name. there is just an encrypted font
only.

LC> I'm mostly thinking of the fonts that are mentioned in the source code
LC> itself, them being Courier, Helvetica, Helvetica-Oblique, and
LC> Helvetica-BoldOblique.  Since we've been assuming everybody and their
LC> printers have these, we could reduce the file size by not dumping them (or
LC> their equivalents).

So I'm saying we can't solve i18n issues with that way.
IIRC it seems Chinese printers has no locale-specific
font. so that they can't solve this problem with that way.
Why can you declare 'everybody'?

--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group
at@gclab.org : tagoh@gnome-db.org / GNOME-DB Project