Re: What's the prerenderer do?

On Tue, 05 Mar 2002, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> LC> I'm horribly confused about the unicode things.  I'm leaving the
> LC> prolog stuff (mostly) alone now (except see below), so if you could
> LC> fix these things, my brain and I would be most thankful:) I'm
> LC> thinking the FreeType version can be simple than the GDK version.
>
> LC> I haven't yet gotten even close to dumping single glyph outlines, I
> LC> simply dump the whole font.  I know it makes the file much larger,
> LC> but it's a good first approximation and *much* easier.  To reduce the
> LC> size, I shall (soon) have it use the standard PS fonts when possible.
>
> Yes, it's true. but as abiword are doing so, even if the
> users does't choose locale-specific font, if it can print
> out, they would be happy. for example Japanese people can't
> choose a Helvetica font for printing, it's well-known
> problem. but abiword can do so. this will save on choosing a
> font. most applications is handling "Helvetica" and
> "Courier" by default. as I do so, temporarily we can avoid
> several issues for gettextize, but there is no fonts which
> can absolutely print out for CJK (except uses Japanese
> printer for Japanese printing. but people which don't have a
> printer without Japanese printer may want to print it out).
> So that I would like to claim it again. we should support it
> without choosing locale-specific font. I think that abiword
> will help those framework.

I've been looking to AbiWord for code, but it doesn't seem to figure out
the fonts well.  It only has a short list of fonts, regardless of what
fonts I have installed.  And besides, AbiWord does dump the entire font
into the file.  Xpdf doesn't, I'd be looking to that for code.

If I understand you correctly, there are no Japanese fonts we could expect
every Japanese user and printer to have installed.  What does AbiWord do?
It doesn't seem to do anything special when I run it with LC_ALL=ja_JP
(works with da_DK).

I'm mostly thinking of the fonts that are mentioned in the source code
itself, them being Courier, Helvetica, Helvetica-Oblique, and
Helvetica-BoldOblique.  Since we've been assuming everybody and their
printers have these, we could reduce the file size by not dumping them (or
their equivalents).