Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Tue Jan 29 08:23:01 2002 (UTC)

CC> I think it is better to display what is encoded in Latin[19] as \xab and
CC> \xbb whenever the current locale support it, and to fall back to the ASCII
CC> approximations only when there is no other way. The UTF-8 representation of
CC> these characters I had put in the code you fixed is the right one, and
CC> should either translate into something which indeed produces the right
CC> glyphs when the locale supports it, or "somehow" fail.

Well, even if dia uses \xc2\xab and \xc2\xbb instead of \xab
and \xbb, current codes will not display correctly because
it specifies locale specific charset for fonts, and when dia
display the text, it convert UTF-8 to locale encoding.
If it doesn't do that, dia needs to use iso-10646-1 instead
of locale encoding. but it needs to convert all of
characters that dia and GTK+ handles.
I don't think that it is better the works for GNOME1.4. if
you want to do that, you should change the target to
GNOME2.0.

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group