Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Tue Jan 29 08:23:01 2002 (UTC)

CC> Akira,
CC>  first, thanks for the great work !

CC> is this really necessary ? I mean, do we really need to localise the start
CC> and end of stereotype symbols (that's << and >> for those who pick up the
CC> conversation); aren't they a fixed quantity already ? (I also fear this
CC> comes as a burden to translators who aren't using an UTF-8 .po file: they're
CC> going to see only garbage, and will probably mis-translate it).

Well, I have just changed a default symbols to << and >>,
because there are a problem with locale which handle as
invalid characters. if we never use \xab and \xbb (I'm sorry
but I can't input these characters), it isn't needed
gettextize, I think. but in fact, latin-1 people may favor
<< and >> over \xab and \xbb. and AFAIK have solved these
issue by gettextize.

CC> It may be desireable to find a way to fall back on "<<" and ">>" (ie,
CC> two-character ASCII representation) whenever the current local charset does
CC> not feature the << and >> proper characters; this doesn't need to rely on
CC> the gettext infrastructure, does it ?

I don't know whether can do that or not. but even if \xab
and \xbb is valid characters for example, not sure whether
those is really shown the glyph like '<<' and '>>' or not.

BTW about input and display, text object and UML object
seems to work fine for UTF-8. I have tested as the
following:
1. replaces gtk_advancement=initial to
   gtk_advancement=dia_talks_utf8 in configure.in
2. build it.

it works for Japanese at least, but other language should be
no problem, because internally codes of these objects is
already handled by UTF-8.

However dia still needs many works.

Regards,
--