Re: Diagram tree window

At 02:00 02.11.01 +0100, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:
>Hans Breuer <hans@breuer.org> writes:
>
>> Just commited your patch. Please check if I've accidently broken anything
>> while fixing some glitches :)
>>

>i've updated my local copy, but the patch is not there yet... i guess
>the update relies on some cron job? (i'm using
>:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome )

I think so. AFAIK gnome cvs is mirrored to four servers under the
name anoncvs.gnome.org. A least one of them had _very_
noticeable delay in the time I worked with them ...

>> Some features and improvements which came to my mind:
>> - It would be nice to have some ordering options for the diagram tree,
>>   i.e. sort by type, sort by name, ...
>
>i agree... i'll work on this... maybe we could have a tab for the
>diagram tree configuration options in the properties dialog (i would
>add the initial size of the window too)...

An own page for sounds reasonable to me. Though for window sizes it
would probably be better to impement some kind of generic SessionInfo
handling like The Gimp does. There are more top level windows which
would benefit from 'remember where placed last time'.

>> - allow multiple object selection from the tree and within the
>> diagram ?
>
>i can do that, but do you think it is really useful? when i want to
>mark multiple objects, i think i'd always do that on the diagram
>window...

I recently have worked on diagrams too huge to have readable class
names when showing all. There some other selection ui would have
been rather useful ...

>> - I'm not sure if the gdk_window_raise should really be done when
>>   clicking around in the tree, instead the tree window could keep the
>>   focus
>
>well, i had the idea of this tree thing because i usually have a lot
>of open diagrams, and wanted to quickly locate any of them and bring
>it to the foreground, but i agree that loosing the focus can be
>annoying... we can fix this in (at least) two ways: either call
>gdk_window_raise both for the diagram window and, afterwards, for the
>diagram tree window (and you have the diagram on the foreground and
>don't miss the focus), or raise the selected diagram only if you
>double click on its node (and, btw, double clicking an object node
>could pop up its properties window): what do you think?

The latter option(s) are more appealing to me (don't mess around
with focus until explicit being told to do so). As you already
sayed there are more operations which are nice to have while
operating with the tree. What about a context menu for tree nodes
which offers:
 - Locate (i.e. select)
 - Properties
 - Delete ?