Re: Diagram tree window - patch (Was: Re: xml-i18n and a new feature)

Hans Breuer <hans@breuer.org> writes:

> Just commited your patch. Please check if I've accidently broken anything
> while fixing some glitches :)

i've updated my local copy, but the patch is not there yet... i guess
the update relies on some cron job? (i'm using
:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome )

> Some features and improvements which came to my mind:
> - It would be nice to have some ordering options for the diagram tree,
>   i.e. sort by type, sort by name, ...

i agree... i'll work on this... maybe we could have a tab for the
diagram tree configuration options in the properties dialog (i would
add the initial size of the window too)...

> - to improve performance and decrease resource consumption when not
>   using the diagram tree it maybe sensible to make the notification
>   messages work (= do nothing) when diagram_tree() returns NULL and
>   and only create the tree on users demand

ok, that sounds good too

> - allow multiple object selection from the tree and within the
> diagram ?

i can do that, but do you think it is really useful? when i want to
mark multiple objects, i think i'd always do that on the diagram
window...

> - I'm not sure if the gdk_window_raise should really be done when
>   clicking around in the tree, instead the tree window could keep the
>   focus

well, i had the idea of this tree thing because i usually have a lot
of open diagrams, and wanted to quickly locate any of them and bring
it to the foreground, but i agree that loosing the focus can be
annoying... we can fix this in (at least) two ways: either call
gdk_window_raise both for the diagram window and, afterwards, for the
diagram tree window (and you have the diagram on the foreground and
don't miss the focus), or raise the selected diagram only if you
double click on its node (and, btw, double clicking an object node
could pop up its properties window): what do you think?

thanks,

jao