Re: anchoring end points to objects

On Wed, 23 May 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> Despite being named "portable", PNG is not as well supported for many
> readers/viewers as is jpeg. Jpeg quality is also not necessarily worse,
> it has a controllable "lossy" compression, which can be turned off

Maybe JPEG 2000 supports lossless compression (bug is supported by even
less programs than PNG), but the normal JPEGs are always lossless (quality
factor 100 does not mean lossless -- just big files).  Jpeg usually forms
artifacts along edges, which doesn't look very good for most diagrams.

> completely. But FYI, I have a 0.86 version (I'll check out the newer
> version soon), and no PNG export option is available on it. The
> encapsulated postscript makes for terrible images when opened in
> ghostview, which normally has very high quality viewing, so I am
> assuming there is a problem in the conversion from dia to eps for that
> particular export.
>
> So if png is supported, why does my 0.86 not show it? Is it simply too
> old?

You must have libart (part of gnome-libs) and libpng installed on your
system in order to build the PNG export filter.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/