Re: anchoring end points to objects

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > Despite being named "portable", PNG is not as well supported for many
> > readers/viewers as is jpeg. Jpeg quality is also not necessarily worse,
> > it has a controllable "lossy" compression, which can be turned off
>
> Maybe JPEG 2000 supports lossless compression (bug is supported by even
> less programs than PNG), but the normal JPEGs are always lossless (quality
> factor 100 does not mean lossless -- just big files).  Jpeg usually forms
> artifacts along edges, which doesn't look very good for most diagrams.

jpeg compression is always "lossy" as far as I know, but the amount of
loss decreases as compression does. It is possible to turn off
compression (large files) and not have the loss. The artifacts though
are not a result of jpeg itself, but how it is rendered. Put in
anti-aliasing, and it'll look as good as anything else.

> > completely. But FYI, I have a 0.86 version (I'll check out the newer
> > version soon), and no PNG export option is available on it. The
> > encapsulated postscript makes for terrible images when opened in
> > ghostview, which normally has very high quality viewing, so I am
> > assuming there is a problem in the conversion from dia to eps for that
> > particular export.
> >
> > So if png is supported, why does my 0.86 not show it? Is it simply too
> > old?
>
> You must have libart (part of gnome-libs) and libpng installed on your
> system in order to build the PNG export filter.

I have libpng, and am now looking for libart (I think I found the right
one, looking now...is lit libart or libart2? and is "libart_lgpl"
correct?). The next question is then what extra step is needed to build
the PNG export filter? Is this such that it must be done from a tarball
distribution?

D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com