Re: anchoring end points to objects

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>
> > According to D. Stimits <stimits@idcomm.com>:
> >
> > > I'm also wondering how hard it would be to create jpeg's as an export
> > > option?
> >

> > I think if I'm not mistaken, that libart can do this easily.
> > The best is IMHO to file bug a report on http://bugzilla.gnome.org
> > for this.
>
> It would probably be quite easy to do JPEG output similar to the PNG
> export (libart doesn't do this directly -- it just renders the diagram to
> an RGB buffer).
>
> I don't know why you would want to though.  The PNG export will give you
> much better quality (it is a lossless encoding) and for all the diagrams I
> tried, gives smaller file size than JPEG.

Despite being named "portable", PNG is not as well supported for many
readers/viewers as is jpeg. Jpeg quality is also not necessarily worse,
it has a controllable "lossy" compression, which can be turned off
completely. But FYI, I have a 0.86 version (I'll check out the newer
version soon), and no PNG export option is available on it. The
encapsulated postscript makes for terrible images when opened in
ghostview, which normally has very high quality viewing, so I am
assuming there is a problem in the conversion from dia to eps for that
particular export.

So if png is supported, why does my 0.86 not show it? Is it simply too
old?