Re: Asked before, now again with more questions attached

Am Freitag, 10. September 2004 19:59 schrieb Octavio Alvarez Piza:

> >> :-) )
> >>
> >> I have an example that isn't quite solved by that. Say I have a flow
> >> chart which has 4 columns. I want to spread those 4 columns evenly, so
> >> after selecting the widest element from each column I ask for horizontal
> >> spreading. Now, I need to center the rest of the elements in each column
> >> to the middle of the element selected (the widest) in the column. In
> >> this case, neither "horizontal -> center" or "left" or "right" or any
> >> combination will do what I expect.
> >
> > 1. select all 4 columns
> > 2. horizontal->same distance
> > 3. for x=1;x<5;x++
> > 4. select column x, object x
> > 5. vertical->center
> > 6 next
> >
> > For loop is necessary. If you would select all 4 columns and objects to
> > center
> > them vertically, they would overlap each other in one column.
> >
> > Does this solve the problem?
>
> Not really. In order to be sure it will work, step 1 would be "for
> x=1;x<4;x++ { select widest-object from column x }". I guess you meant
> that. (Otherwise, if I'm thinking corrctly, for very large flowcharts all
> objects would end up very apart from each other.)

What was the question before :-) ?

> The problem comes in step 4 where you mean to select all of the elements
> in column x, and to center them to the [vertical] middle between "the left
> point of the leftmost element and the right point of the rightmost
> element". In that case, our guide-object, object x, would also move. The
> goal is to leave the guide-object fixed and move the rest of the objects
> in the column to the middle of the guide-object.

Groovie, I thought about the same problem and tried it with dia. I concluded
to better use some program being able to layout columns, maybe PlanMaker.
Diagrams don't work in columns, only with objects and their relations (just
called a graph with nodes and associations). But tables work with columns (as
basic layout frame). Does not solve the problem but gives a hint for further
investigations :-)