Re: Asked before, now again with more questions attached

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 17:10, Jim Clark wrote:
> I wonder if there is some way to specify the place or item on which
> the alignment tool works. What I mean is this; I have a box where I
> want it, and I want to align another box with the first one. If I
> choose Center (my usual choice) it aligns them against some
> intermediate, self-determined meridian. I do not see where/how/if I
> can specify (and cannot really imagine how such thing would be
> specified) to say Align Item B with Item A.

No, they use the average of the centers of the objects.  There's no way
to mark any object as being 'the' object to center with respect to[1].

> If there's some other way to do this, I'd be happy to hear.
>
> So, in a similar vein, is there a way to specify the distance when I
> do a spread out vertically? Is there a setting somewhere that tells it
> how far to space the boxes, or does it average the existing distances
> and make them that distance apart?

Already answered in the other mail.  Of course, there's no way to scale
a bunch of objects together, so his point is kinda lost, but I prefer
not having to enter a number that's frequently better calculated.  Some
way to enter a number just when you want it may be desirable.

-Lars

[1] So, a guy from Kentucky manages to make it into Harvard, and arrives
at the university.  Being utterly lost among the many buildings, he asks
an older student, "Excuse me, where's the registration at?".  The older
student, a born-and-bred Harvardian, looks at him for a moment and
snootily says "Here at Harvard, we learn not to end a sentence with a
preposition!"  The guy replies, "Fine.  Where's the registration at,
asshole?"