Re: mind mapping/topic mapping/dependency mapping?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Mike wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:07:32 -0500
> From: Mike <mikee mikee ath cx>
> To: dia-list gnome org
> Subject: mind mapping/topic mapping/dependency mapping?
>
> I have a requirement to create a picture of all the dependencies
> of my servers and their applications. I don't want to draw the
> picture/diagram nor do I wanto maintain that image. What I want
> (unless someone has a better idea) is to create a file of
> dependencies (A: B C D -> B/C/D all depend on A) and have a
> script generate a file (a dia file, an xfig file, something)

When it comes to generating Diagrams we usually recommend AutoDia
http://droogs.org/autodia/
http://autodia.cuckoo.org/ (mirror but seems faster to connect)

there may be other approaches you could take but I dont know.

> that describes these dependencies and the have the program (dia/xfig)
> read the file, create the little boxes with their associated
> labels, run an auto-layout algorithm to spread out the little
> boxes, and then generate either a postscript, HPGL, dvi, jpg,
> png, etc., file that I can print and hand to my manager.

By all accounts autolayout is very difficult.

Using the Dia command line options you can automate the task of exporting
to more than one file format

Usage: dia [OPTION...]
  --load-modules=MODULE1,MODULE2,...     Dynamic modules to load

Application options
  -e, --export=OUTPUT                    Export loaded file and exit
  -t, --export-to-format=FORMAT          Export to file format and exit.

Supported formats are: cgm, dia, dxf, eps, eps-pango, fig, mp, plt, hpgl,
png, shape, svg, tex, wpg

  -n, --nosplash                         Don't show the splash screen
  -c, --credits                          Display credits list and exit
  -v, --version                          Display version and exit

> Anyone have any thoughts how to do this easily?

Hope that helps.  Thanks for using Dia.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org
Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

> Dia-list mailing list
> Dia-list gnome org
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/dia-list
> FAQ at http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/faq.html
> Main page at http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia

Screenshot of Dia
http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/screenshots/Dia-Screenshot-4-KeiraKnightley.png
(Dimensions 1024, 1280 pixels.  File Size 509 kilobytes)