Resizing problems

I signed up for this list a couple days ago, and haven't seen any
posts.. I just wanted to see whether this list is still active.  I've
started using Dia for the first time, and have some questions.

Control-D is supposed to delete an object, but it never does.  Is
there a key mapping file or something that I might not have configured
properly?

I've been using multiple different layers in a network design layout,
and I have not been able to connect objects in one layer to objects in
a different layer.  Is there a way to do this?  I'd like to have each
LAN in a box on its own layer, but eventually the LANs have to connect
to each other.