Re: UML-Conformity

discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org> schrieb am 19.06.04 04:50:15:

> Hooray for bug sollutions. I'm quite correct when it comes to multiplicities.
> Only a hollow or filled diamond is not enough for me, I want zeros, n-s and
> m-s and that stuff.

> I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Dia's multiplicity support in
> UML Associations is string-based, so you can freely enter "*", "0..1",
> "1..5", "yo-mamma" etc

I can type this, but it's not being displayed where others could read it. The same like not writing it *g*. Just the alignment problem.

> Imagine some for-loop in sequence diagrams, messages with
> repetition counts, if-s and stuff. When using actual versions I have to
> emulate this by text elements to give a complete description of sequences or
> entity-container-relationships...

> I can see why loops in sequence diagrams currently need to be created
> using the text tool and a rectangle (I wonder how hard it would be to
> create a new UML object for this).

...or decisions (is this the right name?)

But I think it's not that hard. You just add some textfield for decisions, loops/ loopcount and render this into the message string...

> For messages with guards and/or repetition counts, can't you simply
> include it as part of the message name? Or were you after a separate
> field?

...yes, the same like above. But not everybody, me too, knows loop notation from scratch *g*, where to put square brackets, the star and that sort of things. Reading is much easier, 'cause it's already there *g*

> Poor alignment makes a diagram unreadable. Multiplicities drawn within classes
> are not quite good. And messages with off-cut underlength letters
> (underscore, characters like g) are also hard to read. So I need a
> workaround. Using the text element is the only way...until these bugs will be
> fixed.

> Yeah, I've been using the same work-around (text tool) here :-)
> Currently I'm using the text tool for multiplicities, role and
> association names, messages - I don't use any of the built-in stuff at
> present (because of the alignment problems).

I'd like to take part in this and develop some solutions (already coded some UML-Tools, esp. sequence diagrams) but I took a look at the lines of code, the object structure and missed some of the easy Java object strategy. Quite hard to understand 2.000 lines of arrow-producing C-code when you're used to 200 line abstract class modelling *g*. But I'll try it.

Why are there no fancy diagrams of dia itself drawn with dia?