Re: editor for shapes ?

> > i'd like, maybe like many others,
> > add new shapes to dia, especially for network diagrams.
>
> What kinds of shapes do you think we are missing from the existing Network
> Shapes?  If you could make a short list others might already have some of
> the shapes you want and be willing to share them.

a rackmount server that doesn't look like a sun.

good looking stuff to show to a client
(like http://www.grassouille.org/docs/graphics/dmz.png (done with sketch))

(i'd like to include :http://www.grassouille.org/docs/index.en.html ;
gradients would be nice)

of course, stuff like that is a pita to create with sketch.
no glue points, no easy resize, etc... but once it's done,
it could be used.

> > following :
> > http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/diatut/all/all.html#L017
> >

> > the only way to create shapes is by hand.
>
> Not sure what exactly you mean when you say "by hand".

with a raw text editor, editing xml, instead of point and click.

> Creating shapes in Dia is not as easy as it might be but you do know about
> "Export, Dia Shape (.shape)" dont you?

wahoo, cool ! one step ahead. thanks.

maybe it could be in www.gnome.org/projects/dia/diatut/all/all.html#L017 ?

> The situation is not ideal but if you could explain a bit more clearly and
> in more detail I might be able to make better suggestions.

well, you said it ;

- a better import svg module.

- a line with grab  points AND connexions points at the end.
with that it's easier to draw a 3d box.
(right now, lines have grab points at extremities and connexion point
in the middle)

also, the cisco icons are nice, but have bad defaults.
fill with light grey and dark lines is more conventionnal.
(or no filling, like every other sheet).
the fill and lines are reversed in cisco icons.
(try changing the color of the lines of any cisco icon,
try to change the fill)

what about a way to edit connexions points of a image ?
this way, we can create any cool image (yeah, bitmap, but still...)
we want, with gimp or anything else, then import it and edit
the connexions points ?

thanks

--
xavier