Re: editor for shapes ?

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, xavier wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:31:01 -0500
> From: xavier <list dia-list natch dyndns org>
> To: dia-list gnome org
> Subject: editor for shapes ?
>

> Hi,
>
> i'd like, maybe like many others,
> add new shapes to dia, especially for network diagrams.

What kinds of shapes do you think we are missing from the existing Network
Shapes?  If you could make a short list others might already have some of
the shapes you want and be willing to share them.

> following :
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/diatut/all/all.html#L017
>

> the only way to create shapes is by hand.

Not sure what exactly you mean when you say "by hand".

Creating shapes in Dia is not as easy as it might be but you do know about
"Export, Dia Shape (.shape)" dont you?

> i had no luck trying to use sketch icons saved as svg.

Shape files use some of the SVG namespace but are not exactly SVG and
would require substantial changes.  (Patches to improve the SVG
importer would be greatly appreciated of course).

> the svg seems incompatible :

> svg are embedded in the .shape,
> with additionnal info (shape name, connexions points...)

The situation is not ideal but if you could explain a bit more clearly and
in more detail I might be able to make better suggestions.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org