Re: Patch to custom object: object-specific properties (preliminary)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Clausen"
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: Patch to custom object: object-specific properties
(preliminary)

Oh, I've just been hacking it around to make it work.  It does load and
save now, and is somewhat prettier about the has_text thing.  I'm going to
put it into CVS now, then you can get it in a couple hours.  After all, CVS
is not indended to be perfect code, just code that compiles.

-Lars
__

I downloaded and studied a bit your patch. You already did more than half
what I was going to do. Really an excellent idea to leave loading and saving
properties to standard library code (I didn't know about)! Couldn't it be
already this way?
Briefly, I also thought, as you did, about quarks to correctlycompare
property types. Another idea is, as you suggested, to create a little
function in the StdProp library returning data size, perhaps extending the
PropertyOps array. Lastly, I would change and extend the shape tags.

A problem I found in custom_describe_props () is that the test to call
prop_desc_list_calculate_quarks () never passes, fortunately, since
custom->info->props is always assigned to a nonzero value before,
otherwise it would crash calling the function with a null argument,
however it seems this doesn't matter.
Anyway, I think there is no reason to postpone that call here.
Calculating quarks is not so big a task, compared to shape loading.
Btw, that function also sets PropertyOps, which may help with what
I said above.

Well, I'm working on all this, stay tuned!

Marco