Re: Logic Gates in SVG format for Dia

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Cyril Chevrot wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:59:11 +0100 (CET)
> From: Cyril Chevrot <chevrot@altern.org>
> To: Dia ML <dia-list@gnome.org>
> Cc: Alan Horkan <horkana@maths.tcd.ie>, Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Logic Gates in SVG format for Dia

> First of all, I have created a new site where I have put all my shapes:
> http://mapage.noos.fr/chevrot

> > Dia has a feature to Flip shapes vertically and horizontally but it is
> > hidden away in the context menu and needs to be promoted to the Object
> > menu (even if it currenly only works for SVG based shapes, it doesn't
> > belong in the context menu).  I assume you were unaware of it and that
> > is why you created shapes for 4 directions rather than just 2.
>
> Quite frankly, I had been aware of that after the beginning but before the
> end of my work. So because it remains few logic gates I have also
> created the last gates in all positions.
>
> But, don't worry, you can delete the redundant gates.
>
> Now, I don't understand why this functionality is so hidden.

Neither do I.

The explanation I was given was roughly that because it only works on SVG
based shapes (and not the programmed objects like UML) that is should be
in the context menu rather than the object menu.
I see that as a fault in the programmed shapes, I'd like to see much more
of the programmed shapes done in SVG and I have a vague theory they could
be simplified a bit by replacing their visual representation could be with
an SVG shape file and saving the progamming work only for the absolutely
necessary bits.

Hiding stuff in submenus, particularly a context menu makes things
difficult for Mac users (hello Hub ;) amongst other things so I think
there is enough justification to change this behaviour but like so many
things with Dia we (meaning disorganised me) just have not gotten around
to it yet.

> > instead, I'll describe the workarounds later if you want)
>
> I don't understand. I have no problem to change the color of my shapes.
> I double click on it, a properties window appears, I change the Line
> Color, and the color of my shapes is changed.
> Can you explain more precisely the problem !

I'll double check this and get back to you.
It could be the older version of Dia I was using but I was unable to
override the fill colour (which was stuck as transparent) and was only
able to change the line colour but not able to turn the fill colour back
on.

> Umm. Not sure to understand. More honestly sure to not understand ;)
> If the problem comes from my code, don't hesitate to show me the code.

Arcs/bridges, semi circles.

The are for when you have two lines crossing over each other and you use a
little semi-circular bump or bridge to make it a little clearer that the
lines are crossing over each other rather than
intersecting/joining/forming a crossroads.
Maybe (probably) I have misinterepted those shapes and they are in fact
somethign else.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/