Re: Logic Gates in SVG format for Dia

Hi,

First of all, I have created a new site where I have put all my shapes:
http://mapage.noos.fr/chevrot

This page contains screen shots and download files. The contents of this
web page is a copy/past of my previous mails.

Lars Clausen Responses
----------------------
> > > if you want to be incredibly cool provide the necessary makefiles so
> > > that we can commit these files!
> >
> > So, because I am an incredibly cool man, I provide the necessary
> > makefiles so that you can commit these files ;)

> Cool (incredibly so:).  Alan, did you take a look at the shapes
> themselves?
> I can almost guarantee that I won't be able to look at it this side of
> Christmas, what with my thesis about to be finished.  If any other of
> the CVS-enabled people look at the Makefile stuff, too, I won't complain
> (hint, hint:)

> > I didn't attain to fetch the cvs version of dia (version 0.92.2).
> > Apparently, no anonymous account exists. If one exists, I would be
> > glad  to know  it.

> It's at :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org/cvs/gnome project dia,
> empty password.

I will make the makefile changes for the 0.92.2 during the days to come.

Alan Horkan Responses
---------------------
	First mail:  Wed, 19 Nov 2003
	-----------------------------

> Sorry that no one responded, I assumed someone else would.  Nothing
> personal, I think we all just assumed some one else would respond, we
> are usually much more friendly.

Don't worry. I am the first to take a little time to respond to all my
mails.

> Other ways to submit patches would be to attach them to bugzilla bug
> reports and or put them on a website somewhere and mail the link.

Like I have said above, this is done.

	Second mail: Sun, 23 Nov 2003
	-----------------------------

> > there should be a place where users can post their new shapes.
> > In case such place exists and i couldn't find it, please someone
> > send me the link.
> Which reminds me, someone else created new shapes and I promised I'd
> look at them already.
That was me ;) And you have kept your promises.

	Third mail: Mon, 24 Nov 2003
	----------------------------

> I finally looked at your shapes and I have time to give some feedback

Perfect !

> Nice work but ...
> (and these are not really your fault)

> there is a lot of redundancy in your sheet it makes it blindingly
> obvious that being able to rotate shapes at least through simple 90
> degree rotations is essential.
> Dia has a feature to Flip shapes vertically and horizontally but it is
> hidden away in the context menu and needs to be promoted to the Object
> menu (even if it currenly only works for SVG based shapes, it doesn't
> belong in the context menu).  I assume you were unaware of it and that
> is why you created shapes for 4 directions rather than just 2.

Quite frankly, I had been aware of that after the beginning but before the
end of my work. So because it remains few logic gates I have also
created the last gates in all positions.

But, don't worry, you can delete the redundant gates.

Now, I don't understand why this functionality is so hidden.
To see it, I must to click on the _middle_ button of my mouse ! I assume
that the menu which appears is what you call the Object menu.
I don't understand why this Object menu, in fact the flip functionality
because it is the only functionality of this menu, doesn't appear when we
do: Right Click->Object
So if the right button click is a reflex for everybody, the middle button
click is maybe a reflex for a few people but not for everybody !

It's true that you can also see this functionality when you double click
on the object. So with the 2 methods it's not so hidden.

> all your shapes were transparent when you exported them which due to a
> flaw in Dia means that users cannot change the colours of the shapes.
> (there are a few ways to fix this but again Dia should just work
> instead, I'll describe the workarounds later if you want)

I don't understand. I have no problem to change the color of my shapes.
I double click on it, a properties window appears, I change the Line
Color, and the color of my shapes is changed.
Can you explain more precisely the problem !

> You drew some Arcs/Bridges and I vaguely recall that there was some
> discussion to do this programmatically by enhancing the basic line to
> allow a bridge to be added.  I dont know if any progress was made in
> this direction.

Umm. Not sure to understand. More honestly sure to not understand ;)
If the problem comes from my code, don't hesitate to show me the code.

> As someone who has made a few shapes myself I have a lot of respect for
> all the time and effort you must have put into your shapes.
> Thanks for getting involved.

Thanks for take a look on it.

--
  Cyril