Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

Le Thu, Jul 17, 2003, à 10:05:28PM +0200, Krzysztof Foltman a écrit:

> >Well, FWIW, I find the "instant apply" thing extremely confusing and
> >frustrating. What's wrong with a cancel button?
> >
> Cancel is for modal dialogs.
>
> Property dialogs in GNOME are encouraged to be modeless (a controversial
> HIG idea, but not that bad IMO). You're supposed to be able to switch
> between document and the line width window.

Yes, but no. We already have too many windows, and there are too many ugly
and capability-less window managers out there (and not all systems have the
option of switching in a better WM -- yes, Bill and Jim, that's you I'm
talking to).
Really, having four or five windows opened for a single application on a
screen any less than 1600x1400 at 96dpi is just shifting the burden from
clicking on "cancel" to clicking on the task bar; which is more confusing
than anything else.

> As for switchable instant/explicit - no, please. It's not that easy, and
> that time could be better spent on more important things (like getting
> rid of the dreaded CSDI model ;-) ).

I was just joking...