Re: Is there a way to prin in multiple pages?

On 28 Jan 2003 08:35:15 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Leonardo Javier Belén wrote:
>
> > And another feature that can be useful is to print only the page that
> > is changed, I mean, to be possible to select which page of all the
> > ones that build the diagram will be printed.
>
> That's not something that Dia can do right now.  Adding something that
> allows the user to select the pages to be printed wouldn't be too hard.
> Somewhat more difficult would be to automatically detect pages that have
> changed.  Since all changes are encapsulated for undo anyway, it may be
> possible to do this.  Not easy, though.

OTOH, this ties to the "print preview" thread of not too long ago.
Printing to a fifo and launching ggv or something would let him pick what
pages to to print.

I don't think a "print updated pages" feature would be widely used.  (One
important bugaboo wrt diagrams would be lines leading to other pages: if
the line moves even a pixel, the whole other page is "updated".)  Mostly,
though, if 1 page changed, it's pretty easy to pick it out and print it
("print current page" is handy); if lots of pages changed, it's easier
just to reprint the lot than to hand collate a set of deltas.

> I make diagrams all the time about legal structures and system
> development, and usually they tend to be bigger than 1m x 9m

Nine meter diagrams?  Your office must be much bigger than mine, not to
mention your plans!
Cheers,

--jkl