Development; other diagram types

Greetings!

I'm having an university level project course about computer
architecture and I figured I'd use DIA for drawing schematics.
My needs are higher level than "Circuit" or "Electric" diagram
types, but the more applicable "Logic" set is rather limited,
and seriously that until I can at least rotate. So I figured
out I'd put together shapes of my own.

So, I figured out how to export shapes and hand-edit them for
perfection, but this still leaves two questions:
- What is the desired line width in components? What
	should it be preset to? Is there an option for
	setting line width of new objects according to a
	"preference" or changing line width of all objects
	simultaneously?
- What about LINES? I didn't find a "perfect line"
	anywhere. The UML message is a good arrow but it
	doesn't snap with another line, so building L-shaped
	connections seem impossible (to do well).
	I'd also like the option to specify both a name and
	a "number-of-wires" info to an arrow and get them to
	print nicely.

My question is, how hard would it be to build a "diagram
type" for this kind of work? How could I do it? I guess the
funny-shaped-boxes with connections etc would not be hard.
Or, would it, with selectable background colors, text field(s),
selectable "bit depth" (a big box with a selectable number of
small boxes underneath)?. And, what about my perfect idea of
an arrow?=) Programming is not a problem, or not a big one
anyway, if I can read the code.. =).

 -Jonni Lehtiranta