Re: Development; other diagram types

jonni@lehtiranta.net wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm having an university level project course about computer
> architecture and I figured I'd use DIA for drawing schematics.
> My needs are higher level than "Circuit" or "Electric" diagram
> types, but the more applicable "Logic" set is rather limited,
> and seriously that until I can at least rotate. So I figured
> out I'd put together shapes of my own.
>
> So, I figured out how to export shapes and hand-edit them for
> perfection, but this still leaves two questions:
> - What is the desired line width in components? What
>         should it be preset to? Is there an option for
>         setting line width of new objects according to a
>         "preference" or changing line width of all objects
>         simultaneously?
> - What about LINES? I didn't find a "perfect line"
>         anywhere. The UML message is a good arrow but it
>         doesn't snap with another line, so building L-shaped
>         connections seem impossible (to do well).
>         I'd also like the option to specify both a name and
>         a "number-of-wires" info to an arrow and get them to
>         print nicely.
>
> My question is, how hard would it be to build a "diagram
> type" for this kind of work? How could I do it? I guess the
> funny-shaped-boxes with connections etc would not be hard.
> Or, would it, with selectable background colors, text field(s),
> selectable "bit depth" (a big box with a selectable number of
> small boxes underneath)?. And, what about my perfect idea of
> an arrow?=) Programming is not a problem, or not a big one
> anyway, if I can read the code.. =).
>
>  -Jonni Lehtiranta

I was also dissatified with the Circuit shapes as I didn't think
they looked good enough to do professional drawings so I
modified and created additional shapes.  I posted them on
the Dia List awhile back and are available from my webspace at:

http://www.hal-pc.org/~jsgil/Dia-Shapes.tar.gz

Line width was an issue and it was through trial and error
until I got it to look the way I wanted it.

I also needed to do artwork for circuit boards and have
generated some shapes for this also.

John