Re: Text Entry [Re: direct text input for UML-message]

On 10 Feb 2003 16:21:03 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > If you use TAB to move between fields then you cannot put tabs in your
> > text boxes.
>
> True, unless we add some escape sequence.  But how often do you need to
> put a tab in a text box?  They don't really have a well-defined meaning
> there. Tab is so commonly known as 'move to next input' that I think we
> can make that the general behaviour.

You can decide for yourself if it's a feature or not, but I've used
applications that use TAB to 'move to next input' and ^I to insert a tab.
It's a little hard to remember sometimes that TAB leaves the textbox, but
not nearly so annoying as the alternative: *failing* to leave the textbox
and accidentally altering its text.

Tabs are somewhat useful in textboxes whose contents are somewhat
structured.

--jkl