Re: some sheets.in.h inconsistencies

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Jan-Willem Harmanny wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:
>> The answer, in short, is "Yes".  We'd like help cleaning up the shape
>> descriptions.  Long answer below.
>
> I'm not familiar at all with the internals of Dia, so all the messing
> around with shape names, descriptions, tooltips and status bars and other
> fun stuff are quite difficult for me (just started being gtk-newbie.)

Well, in the end it boiled down to something like the original idea:
Update the descriptions to be consistent.

> Looking at the old thread Lars mentioned, it seems that the names of the
> shapes should skip the "create a" and shouldn't use Lots Of Capitals.

Indeed.

> I could change that in the *.sheets.in.h files for you, but then all
> existing descriptions there would disappear forever, so i guess that's
> not such a good idea.

I think it'd be a great idea to do that once and for all.  As long as it
isn't done, new sheets will be made with varying descriptions.  Yes, it
will hurt translations for a bit, but we'll all be better off for it.

> So, in short, if you like some help, you'd better supply me with some
> nice instructions for what should be done and how, because I have no clue
> :)

Certainly:
Download the newest CVS version (see the Dia pages for how).
Go through each sheet.in in sheets/ and change descriptions to have no
pronoun, no "create a...", and no LotsO'Caps *unless* that capitalization
is part of an acronym or proper name (determining which can be tricky).
Leave any trailing description (such as UML Aggregation has it) alone.
If in doubt, collect the doubtful entries and send them here, we shall then
look at them.
Don't be afraid to make changes, CVS remembers it all anyway.

> Oh and, please, cc me because I'm not on this list.

Well, why don't you join us, then?  Membership is free and we don't try to
sell you anything:)

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor