Re: Can Dia run in a rootless X environment?

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Vicki Brown wrote:
> We don't run Linux (yes, I know, don't shoot!). We run FreeBSD on the
> server in the back room and Mac OS X on the desktop.
>
> FreeBSD can run Linux apps in "Linux emulation" mode (and may even be
> able to run Gnome natively... but Gnome is, well, huge. And besides
> which, FreeBSD is a server only system here.

Dia does not depend on Gnome.  It can optionally be compiled with Gnome,
though at the moment the difference is minimal.

> Mac OS X can run X and X apps in a rootless environment, either apps
> built locally or clients from the FreeBSD system.
>
> I want to run Dia.
>
> Can I run Dia in a rootless X environment? Does it require Gnome or only
> bits and pieces of gnome (i.e. gtk+ to build with)?

I have already run Dia on my iBook in rootless X.  It's available in Fink.
You definitly need Gtk+, and a few other things that can be seen in the FAQ
<URL:http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/faq.html>

I have not tried seriously to compile Dia on OS X yet.  Maybe I'll have
time for that this summer.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor