Re: uml tutorial link broken

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jeremy Tammik wrote:

> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:31:01 +0200
> From: Jeremy Tammik <jeremy@redcor.ch>
> To: dia-list@lysator.liu.se
> Subject: uml tutorial link broken
>
> hi everybody,
>
> the link to the uml tutorial using dia mentioned prominently on the dia
> home page is broken.

it always helps when you provide the exact page and the exact link text so
i can simply search the page for the word.

this is the homepage
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/home.html

this is the documentation page
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/docs.html
which is actually the page you are looking for, you could have saved me
several painful minutes on my pitful dialup connection.

i presume you mean the link at the top of the page with the text "UML
Tutorial" which links to (or at least tries to)
http://yukon.genie.uottawa.ca/~lavoie/software/uml/

Offhand as this is an external link to some one elses site i have not a
clue what they might have done to their pages.

time to try google cache and or the web archive

ill try the web archive first because it is easy
just stick
http://web.archive.org/*/
followed by the page you are looking for
like so:
http://web.archive.org/*/http://yukon.genie.uottawa.ca/~lavoie/software/uml/
lost of results, and the one from April 10th looks promising
http://web.archive.org/web/20010410235501/http://yukon.genie.uottawa.ca/~lavoie/software/uml/

> two questions:
>
> 1. is it going to be fixed some day?

external site, nothing we can do about it
(although we will probably inlcude links to the web archive, and shunt it
down to the bottom of the page).

> 2. does anyone know how to get a copy of the tutorial mentioned?

see above.

you are morally obligated to return the favour next time there is a broken
link or you can provide (relevant) advice to a Dia user ;)

> cheers
>
> jeremy

Sleep, need sleep, standing up all day hurts shins, much ... makes me
crankey too, but for some reason i decided to find the tutorial for you
anyway.

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/