Re: Font trouble

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Levi Bard wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2002 18:47:06 -0500
> Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>

>> The current CVS has some nasty problems with fonts.  In particular,
>> fonts font interactively may be missing when printing.  This is because
>> we use Freetype to print (and export to PNG), but X fonts to render.
>> While the two systems find mostly the same fonts, the names are
>> different (perry <> perrygothic, comics <> comicscartoon etc).  Thus,
>> when trying to print with perrygothic, Freetype fails to find it and
>> picks a placeholder.  Not pretty.
>>
>> This can all be solved by always using Freetype for rendering.  However,
>> the Win32 version does its own Window-specific printing, and thus so far
>> hasn't required Freetype (and would rather not).  I can't test the Win32
>> version at the moment, can anybody tell me if the displayed and printed
>> fonts are in sync?
>
> The displayed and printed fonts are not quite in sync on win32, but I'm
> not sure whether the resulting printout is enough different from the
> display to warrant any kind of major changes.  The differences I had on
> UML models for a small c++ project were almost unnoticeable.

Yeah, there will always be some small changes due to hinting at different
scales.  It could be eliminated by rendering in a fixed DPI and then
scaling, but that would make it look uglier on the screen.  I'm considering
a user option to switch between the two.

Could you tell me what names those fonts I mentioned have under Windows,
and if possible, what names they have when using GDK_USE_XFT?  The names
should be visible in the font selector.